Saturday, January 1, 2011

green crafting: gift tags from used cards and notes

Good evening all! And a Happy New Year too! I hope everyone was able to celebrate the dawn of the new year with your loved ones and that you all made it to twenty-eleven safely. I know I had a great time last night. What was interesting was we did the count down three times in a row... It seemed that there was a bit of an echo at the party I attended. : )

When I got home today, I spent some time going through all of my wonderful Christmas gifts and putting them away or getting them ready for some good use. While doing this, I came across some holiday cards that I wasn't sure that I wanted to keep, or it was just time to retire them from display in our home. Instead of tossing the cards into the recycling bin, I thought of a better way to keep the cards going for another time! (Okay, I actually have to give credit to my step-mom here, because I think she's been doing this for years and it just finally was time for me to follow her trend. Thanks!)

Not only did I have holiday cards, but thank-you notes and a wedding invitation.

1. Cards in original state


The holiday cards and thank-you cards had writing on the inside, so I had to take that into account when deciding what elements would work best as a stand-alone tag. Then, I cut the cards down into smaller pieces, about the size you see on a purchased gift bag with attached tag.
2. Cut-up cards, now gift tags!

I folded some and left some flat, and I punched a hole in each of them to string ribbon or string through to attach to the future gift.

3. Finished gift tag with ribbon
Now I have gift tags at hand for any occasion! 

Just keep collecting cards thoughout the year, and after they have seen their day, add them to your new gift tag collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment